|Project by MalcolmLaurel||posted 02-28-2014 12:58 AM||1008 views||0 times favorited||3 comments|
This is a table I finished last night.
A couple of years ago, a large oak tree was threatening my cabin, so we took it down. Aside from the largest piece near the base that I adzed flat for a rough bench along the front path, I chopped and split it for firewood… except for one piece that happened to split off almost flat, which I put aside. This winter, I found it where I had tossed it under the cabin, and decided to do something with it.
As an experiment, since I’d never tried this before, I started attacking it with a hand plane (a Stanley/Bailey #4 I inherited from my father). Not the most appropriate tool, I know, but all I have, and with a little perseverance I had it more or less flat, with some beautiful medullary ray flecks. A mountain laurel tripod I’d been saving for a possible lamp furnished the base, and voila!... a small chair-side table, destined for my fireside chair back at the cabin. It’s about 24” high, with an 18×8 top, just big enough for a drink and a book. The tabletop is attached to the base with Titebond II, one dowel, and one large screw. Finish is several coats of shellac all over, which really popped out the oak grain, followed with Deft lacquer (to protect it from water or Scotch) on the tabletop only.
I like this enough that I’ll have to do it again… which means I need a bigger froe, to split such things on purpose, and a larger plane… here we go again… :)
-- Malcolm Laurel - http://MalcolmLaurel.com