|Project by Elizabeth||posted 02-25-2014 05:36 PM||1136 views||2 times favorited||2 comments|
During one of my Rockler orders a couple of years ago I picked up this xylophone kit – I think it was on sale. It sat around for a while, but now that I have a toddler who is obsessed with drumming and music I figured it was time to get it done.
It took a very long time to find the shop time (see aforementioned toddler) but eventually I did get it together. The wood is maple and I think I used Danish oil as the finish. The tone of the instrument is okay for a kid, but it’s not perfectly tuned, and there’s a lot of vibration interference from the screws. The plans actually suggest to put pieces cut from a plastic straw around the screws to help prevent contact; I haven’t tried that yet. The bigger contact problem seems to be the bars hitting the bottoms of the screw heads; I might try making some felt washers to see if that helps.
As noted in several of the online reviews, the plans are very poorly photocopied and need enlargement or good eyes to read the diagrams clearly, and some of the bars are not in tune. But it’s good enough for a kid to bang on.
The screws supplied in the kit are square headed.