LumberJocks

Office Bar Sign - Conrad's East

  • Advertise with us
Project by crispy posted 177 days ago 370 views 0 times favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch

Hey guys!

Here’s a sign my friend contracted me to make for his dad’s office bar (office bar at his last job was called “Conrad’s” and he moved to a new job, so the office bar became “Conrad’s East”). His drink is Crown Royal, so there’s a Crown Royal logo out of Purple Heart, Padauk, and Canary. I forget what the edging and background are made of.

This was Christmas 2012, before I’d heard of Lumberjocks, so the method I used was somewhat crude by Lumberjocks standards… The thing I did right was make a sketch in SolidWorks that I could scale and modify and such, and ensure consistent sizes and shapes between the various different woods would be consistent. I now know that double bevel marquetry would probably be a better method to use on a project like this. BUT I was able to cover up some mistakes, as you can see from pictures 3, 4, and 1. 3 shows the big (sometimes huge) gaps between each of the pieces. I cleaned the scroll saw thoroughly between each wood and saved some sawdust from each, so I mixed the sawdust with glue and smeared it into the gaps (4), then sanded it flat on a belt sander to get the product in 1 (unfortunately missed a canary gap on the right, and there’s still some sawdust fill on it in the first picture) which overall I’m really pleased with! Especially considering how big some of the gaps were – honestly, I was floored at how well this method cleaned up the piece; I could hardly believe how well it worked.

Holes were drilled in the backs of the letters and in the backing piece, with some finishing nails driven into the letters and epoxied into the backing to elevate the letters (can see a few nice shadows in the second picture!). Also visible is a little French cleat stand. 5 is kind of hard to see, but faintly shows the SolidWorks printouts glued to the wood – useful when using the finish nails to raise the letters off, would have been impossible to get the nails in the right position without this. And the gaps would have been even larger without a print out to glue onto each wood I think.

Let me know what you guys think! Would love some feedback! :)

Thanks guys,
~Chris





2 comments so far

View adaughhetee's profile

adaughhetee

101 posts in 1309 days


#1 posted 177 days ago

It looks awesome! I had to do a double take of the first picture because the coloring looked like a Photoshop fake. You did an excellent job of using grain direction and wood color to bring it to life. At first I though it was shaded veneer.I’ve been scared of trying it due to gaps in my cutting but, it looks seamless. What kind of glue did you use every time I try sawdust and glue it comes out darker?

View jfk4032's profile

jfk4032

245 posts in 1152 days


#2 posted 176 days ago

Nice job! If you added in some minor shaping, you’d be an intarsia artist as well. Your glue fixes came out real nice, very hard to see or even think there were some gaps previously.

-- ---Joel; Central MD...rookie empter nester and getting back into woodworking!

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase