|Project by scoobydooo9r||posted 02-24-2014 08:34 AM||1242 views||6 times favorited||14 comments|
Here’s a shot of the pile of wood that it started out as:
One of my first commissions, a custom sewing cabinet.
This project was pretty interesting. I think one of the coolest parts of my job is getting to learn about things that I wouldn’t normally. To help my design this piece, I learned quite a bit about sewing from both my client and on the internet. Through this process, we honed in on some things that will seriously improve my client’s experience and results in her sewing.
She had a table already, but she wanted a bigger one with an air lift. Through my discussion with her during the design phase, we hashed out a ton of improvements to the basic design that are custom tailored to her. For example, we moved the drawer bank from the right side of the table to the left since she is left-handed. The dimensions of the drawers were specific to fit an extra attachment piece for her machine. I added a few things that should help out some that were merged into the design.
Overall, it was a fun project. It took me wayyy too long to complete, but it was worth the work.
I documented the build on my blog. I tried to include a good amount of detail, but it doesn’t cover everything. I wanted to document it there because I felt that the client would enjoy getting weekly updates of the progress of her cabinet. I think she enjoyed it.
If you want to go through the build on my website, here’s a link to the posts: http://nvwoodwerks.com/tag/sewing-cabinet/
-- I don't make mistakes, I make design challenges!