|Project by Todd A. Clippinger||posted 09-08-2008 04:14 AM||4049 views||3 times favorited||26 comments|
This entry bench was built for clients that I have previously done work for. I had previously built a vanity for these clients and you can see it here.
Many of the design elements were taken from the vanity; the color, an arch, and the moulding around the drawers. The clients made the upholstered seat. The wood is curly maple.
I tried a new finish on this project. I used MLCampbell Magna Max. It is a pre-cat lacquer that has the durability ratings of a conversion varnish. I would find it hard to believe but another furniture maker I know highly recommended it. Time will tell, but my initial handling of it is very positive.
I thought that I would share a couple of pictures from my notebook to show some of the design process. I also drew the faceframe in full scale on the workbench to insure that the proportions were good.
The fourth photo with the flowers shows the space before the bench was installed.
The final photo shows the dry fitting. I did a test fit then took the faceframe back to the shop for stain and finish. If it needed any final cutting to fit in place I wanted to do it before the stain and finish.
I have been using the ML Campbell with great results. It is a pre-catalyzed lacquer that has a higher than normal durability. I love this finish and it is what I leave in my pressure pot all of the time.
-- Todd A. Clippinger, Montana, http://americancraftsmanworkshop.com