|Project by WVWoodshed||posted 02-23-2014 04:42 AM||918 views||0 times favorited||6 comments|
This project actually dates back to March of 2013, but I still think it is worthy of being my first project post here at LumberJocks. This was my first attempt at intarsia or inlay, so there is a lot of room for improvement, but I am still proud of the effort.
The woods used are curly maple, oak, cherry, walnut, bubinga, purpleheart and 1/8” plywood. I used splined miters for the corners of the box with alternating bubinga and purpleheart splines. When creating the sides of the box I used a continuous piece of curly maple to insure grain flow around the outside. The initial box was assembled sealed and the top was cut off after everything was together. I miscalculated the depth to the bottom of the plywood inlay backer and missed cutting through the plywood by about a 1/16th of an inch. That is why I added the walnut lip around the inside of the lid to hold the lid on when closed.
The finish is 2 coats of boiled linseed oil and 3 coats of a gloss poly. In hindsight I wish I had gone semi-gloss or even satin, but that is all part of the learning process.
Let me know what you think. I will be posting more projects over the next few weeks, eventually getting caught up to current and ongoing projects down the road.
You can also see some of my blog posts over at http://wvwoodshed.blogspot.com.
Until my next post…
“Keep your mind on your fingers and your fingers on your hands!!!”
-- Keep your mind on your fingers and your fingers on your hands...