|Project by jerrells||posted 02-20-2014 05:37 PM||1177 views||1 time favorited||6 comments|
I as asked by a friend, and now customer, to cut this plaque. It is designed by Keith Fenton at Shelia Landry Designs and I have been wanting to cut one for a while. The customer said she wanted some dark wood to match her new floors. We went to one of the local wood stores for her to look at some wood selections. She was not able to tell that the raw wood could be darker and different color with some stain, oil and finish. She asked if I could use some left over pieces of her flooring as, she said, it was real wood. I said I would give it a try.
She gave be four pieces to do the project. More than enough. I did a test cut of a butter fly pattern and all went well. However I did notice that it was not “real wood” but Baltic birch plywood. The last picture show some grooves hat run both horizontal and vertical along the back of the flooring. They are for expansion I guess. Anyway as I was cutting the plaque I broke one of the letters off. That should have not happened. I posted, on my blog, a question on this but did not get a response. My theory was some chips would get caught in the groove and cause extra stress on the wood. I filled all of the grooves with wood filler and sanded smooth. That seems to correct the problem.
The only areas I have to stain and finish were the edges and the inside of the letters. That was not a real issue as the sealer, stain or finish could be quickly wiped off the pre-finished surface with no problems.
I did put a backer board on the plaque, which was an option, as some of the small cuts, like the “O’s” seemed to weak by themselfs.
Well the plaque is finished and I will give it to her on Sunday at Church. She has already seen it in the middle of cutting for me to ask a question about staining or painting the edges. She left that to me and I choose stain.
I all this was a fun project and I did learn a lot by doing it.
-- Just learning the craft my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ practiced.