|Project by CincyRW||posted 02-20-2014 03:30 AM||1161 views||1 time favorited||10 comments|
2 projects -
1. The most interesting first. My wife bought me a box of “pin up” pictures for Christmas. She thought my basement shop needed more of this sort of thing. Who am I to argue? I just used decent grade spruce from a big box store. My main goal was to make pretty good miters and play around with some different finishes. Both objectives achieved.
I cut the rabbets on my brand new table saw (Craftsman 22116) and they turned out great. I then cut the mitered corners on my new miter sled (see #2 below). I glued up the frames using the band clamp shown in the pics above. The band clamp is worth its weight in gold. For the picture glass, I just had some glass cut at Ace Hardware and. Behind the picture itself is a piece of foam core held in place with glazing points. Pretty simple. I’ll certainly enjoy looking at the ladies in my shop :)
2. I knew I wanted to build a miter sled. I did. Relatively easy. I did my best to reference the front of the fence with the saw blade…. which was difficult. So, I used a framing square on the front sides of the fences. Each leg isnt a perfect 45 to the blade, but they’re about as close to 90 to each other as I can make them.
The “A” and “B” are on the fences because I’m a little bit scatter brained. As long as I make joints out of one cut from the “A” fence and one cut from the “B” fence, I’ll have a pretty darn good miter. I had trouble keeping track of what cuts came from which fence, so I just labeled them. The second to last picture is an example of the first joint I made with the sled – completely satisfied. With a little fine tuning, they started turning out even better. I noticed that if I put a single note card (thick card stock) on the end of the “A” fence (between the stock and the fence), my joints came out almost perfect.
Two very fun projects that 1) boosted my confidence and 2) helped me build my skills. Thanks for looking.