|Project by oldrivers||posted 02-18-2014 04:37 AM||1160 views||0 times favorited||9 comments|
A Dresser for my Granddaughter I Fabricated from Popular I harvested some years back. There is a Queen Bed A Chest and a Cedar lined Blanket chest to match (Will post later) it is all a mission style of her choosing.
My Grandaughter requested the color to be cappuccino (What is that I ask) She gave directions her to go see a box of this color@ Targets and what I found was Black with cherry red that had a sort of iridescent appearance *
I was informed that I just may not be able to produce the combinations of colors, nether was I sure of that but I will try.
How I arrived at the colors she wanted was by using Aniline dyes with a red wine under Neath and a little on top where it needed it, however after a while and a little hair pulling I got it, she is Happy. On one of the pictures you can see the Red in certain areas as the light reflects off the drawer dividers.
That was a learning experience alright, but I loved the challenge. In the bottom drawers I installed Red Cedar drawer bottoms that way she can store woolens and the Cedar will ward off Moths (Old trick from yester year) it works. The Finish The top coat is Lacquer first I used a sander Sealer. Then I several coats of Clear Lacquer sanding between coats with 400 grit sand paper by hand. Between the last coat and again after the last coat I wet sanded with 600 grit sandpaper (Auto style finishing) then polished to a high gloss. The jointly is Mortis and tendon and the hardware it Mission style*, the side panels are made in the old style which can be seen on the third picture. If you like I can post the Bed as well as the Chest of Drawers. This was a Fun project!
-- Soli Deo gloria!