|Project by aussiedave||posted 02-17-2014 01:01 PM||2972 views||22 times favorited||40 comments|
Hey there LJ’s and Buddies, the lathe I bought a little over two months before Christmas finally has a home and not in a cardboard box on my workshop floor. Before I go into the project I would like to thank DoubleDD for sharing his design, measurements, angles and things to watch for in the design. That is one of the amazing things about Lumberjocks is the willingness of people to share ideas, thoughts, information and experience with those of lesser knowledge in the craft…thanks Dave.
There is quite a few firsts for me in the building of the lathe bench, ” A ” frame construction and joinery, door frames, although just basic frames with plywood centres it is all experience and learning. The first picture is the finished project with the Nova mounted on it. The second pic I numbered the sections and dry assembled one frame for those like me who may had no idea on how to make them. I made mortis and tenon joints for the legs to go into the foot of each “A ” frame and a tenon at the top with a sort of mortised cap to go over them to hold them together. On the inside of the two outer frames I hand cut notches for the three beams that run from end to end with the centre frame sitting under the beams supporting them in the middle. Because the centre frame did not have a cap on the tip to hold them together I cut and glued a Jarrah spline to hold them together (pic three has an insert pic showing the spline. Fourth pic is the frame all glued and screwed together. I have used a few pocket hole screws in the three beams and the top of the centre leg. Pic five is the 1” thick Jarrah top, two 6” wide pieces glued together for the top with support blocks also Jarrah for the lathe to sit on and thanks to DoubleDD again for letting me know it is so I can clean chips out from under and between the rails. I would have just sat the lathe on the top and bolted it down. I think Jarrah is as hard as Bubinga and gets used a lot for furniture here in Oz, it is a hard wood and great to work with, plus it grows in my home state West Australia. I put an insert pic at the bottom of pic five just to show a little better what Jarrah looks like for those who have never seen it before. Yes I know some of you are shaking your heads thinking why use such a beautiful wood for a bench…well it is hard and strong and the lathe is heavy….and….well it’s beautiful wood and that alone is a good reason to use it…lol. Six is the drawers and doors fitted and I had to place spacers for the drawer slides on the inside of the end frames so the drawers don’t hit the door when I open them. A last minute correction I did not even think of when building the bench that the doors would hit the doors. The whole thing got two coats of BLO and the top and the doors got an added two coats of wipe on satin polyurethane, the rest of the frame and drawers just got one coat of Poly. The two pics below are just to show the frame work from a different angle and the three legs, with the outside two legs showing an inside and outside view of them. Well now it is time to start making a mess and destroying cheep wood on the lathe till I get some experience under my belt…thanks for looking.
-- Dave.......If at first you don’t succeed redefine success....