|Project by Tommy||posted 02-16-2014 04:58 PM||1697 views||1 time favorited||5 comments|
Last night, I finished the baby gate project I’d been contemplating for a few months. Thanks to some design ideas from projects posted on this site by NewPilgrim, Rob, and CMC06 I was able to come up with a functioning gate. It’s not the prettiest thing in the world, but it does the job and only cost me about $25. Most of the cost was for the balusters. I used left over ply for the frame.
I borrowed Rob’s latch idea. That works great, however my first attempt was too big (stopper stuck out too far into the walkway with the gate open) so I modified it to be one inch thick which is probably closer to his design. I also found I needed to cut my wooden hinge supports to a 45 to allow the gate to open further and stay out of the way for anyone walking to the rooms on the left of the photo.
I experimented with different latches including the sliding latch seen in the pics. I left that one on for now but may remove it if we don’t use it. I certainly learned a lot with this project that I may use to build another gate at the bottom of the stairs to replace the store bought gate seen in the second to last pic.
Overall, it turned out ok and didn’t cost too much since I used leftover wood and stain. I finished it with poly I had on hand. It fits in much better than the store bought gate and keeps our 18 month old from falling down the stairs (usually when I’m in charge). Hopefully this post will benefit someone building a similar gate and thanks to the other posters for their ideas!