|Project by arudson||posted 02-13-2014 03:59 AM||1687 views||12 times favorited||13 comments|
I stumbled upon the plans and an instructional video for this Tambour box online and thought it would be a fun build – and it was! It turns out that the original plans were published in the April 2011 Issue of Woodworker’s Journal and has been made by many LumberJocks.
My box was made from cherry and maple for the drawer sides. Some LJ’s have commented about difficulties with the instructions but I found them to be clear and correct. Perhaps the online plans have been improved from what was originally published? There were one or two router bit sizes that seemed odd, as if diameters were cited when the size was really radii. Also, some folks found that the drawer would bind or that the force to open the drawer and raise the tambour lid was too great for one handed operation. Perhaps I got lucky because my box works great and after installing just simple low profile rubber pads on the bottom it stays in place perfectly and requires little effort.
I stayed pretty true to the plans. I went with the suggested half blind dovetails on the drawers. This was my first attempt at hand cut dovetails and I rushed things, was careless in my measuring and cutting and really made a mess of them. Fortunately, I was able to fill the >1/16” gaps with putty and short of looking real close all looks good.
I saved on some of the template routing by cutting the grooves on the side pieces using my Joes 2006 CNC machine. It took me about an hour to do up the plan and produce the G-Code and probably just 15 minutes to run it on the machine. The biggest benefit here may be if I decide to make another; the hard work has already been done. I also used my CNC machine to scratch horizontal lines as markers for the biscuit locations. In hindsight, I should have tied to use my CNC machine to cut the actual biscuit slots – while I have never done this by CNC before, cutting the slots on the side pieces using my biscuit jointer was probably the most awkward part of this whole build.
This project requires many pieces of non-conventional thickness. Recent upgrades to my Delta 14” bandsaw (1.5 hp motor, Carter guides and tires, Wood Slicer blade) made resawing 4/4 stock a jiff. I really would not recommend starting on this project if resawing is an issue – the alternative would have a lot of wood turned into dust at the thickness planer.
This was a fun woodworking project with good results. Give it a try…