|Project by rtbrmb||posted 02-13-2014 03:08 AM||831 views||1 time favorited||7 comments|
In Nov, 2011 I made my first post on Lumberjocks, asking for help identifying a board. I had responses from; ShaneA, WDHLT15 & Lee A, Jesberger all identifying it as Butternut.
I was trying to make two boxes for my great-nieces, and I just finished them last month. This is the 4th attempt at a lid style before I was comfortable with them. If it weren’t for the fact that the board came from my father’s wood collection that I inherited when he passed away 17 years ago, I would have had a ceremonial burning & started over.
There is a unique grain pattern on the front of both boxes (mirror images) from when I sawed the board in half. The top is made of walnut burl veneer and the splines are walnut as well. I routed a 1/16” border and CNC routed their 1st initial on the lid and filled with epoxy colored with a violet color. The finish is multiple coats of Danish oil followed by several coats of shellac that I sanded with 220 between each coat. I also rubbed it out with 0000 steel wool & paste wax.
They both have matching trays and red velvet in the bottom.
Thanks for looking.
Bill in MI