|Project by KnotCurser||posted 02-09-2014 10:02 PM||3178 views||13 times favorited||51 comments|
Around three weeks ago, one of the hinges broke on my favorite pair of sunglasses – bummer!
Instead of buying a new pair, I found an older pair and limped along with them – until today, that is…......
Three days ago I started making what you see here – a solid walnut, handcrafted pair of wayfarer sunglasses.
I used my old pair as a template and harvested the lenses and little metal posts on the front – everything else is homemade, to include the hinges.
Day one was spent creating the main body of the glasses and figuring out how to hold in the lenses (solved by a grinding disc in my dremel). Tools used: Scrollsaw, sander and dremel.
Day two was cutting the arms and trying a very unsuccessful 1st attempt at hinges – both arms went into the trash. Doh!
Today was spent cutting another set of arms and figuring out a successful way of making the hinges. Tools used: Scrollsaw and dremel and a bunch of hand sanding.
Finish is a coat of walnut tinted danish oil and two coats of thinned shellac.
Pic 5 is a shameless “selfie” with my new shades. ;-)
-- Robert Rhoades WoodWorks / Email: firstname.lastname@example.org / www.rhoadesclan.com