|Project by daverose||posted 02-09-2014 at 07:20 AM||1462 views||12 times favorited||14 comments|
Been working on this table for a bit. My next door neighbours old maple had to come down a couple of years ago and I managed to get a few slices off it with no real intention of what to do. I figured they would check and split all over the place but to my surprise they hardly checked at all. I posted something here looking for ideas back in the summer but eventually found a picture on line where someone had done something similar so used that for inspiration.
Flattened the discs out with router sled which I thought would be the worst part of the job. That was before I started sanding them. I don’t have a thickness sander as my basement shop is about 12’x12’. Took about 60 minutes with 50 grit on a belt sander for every side and that was just to get the marks out from the router, never mind finish sanding.
Joining them together was tricky. I decided to use mortise and tenon early on with some additional support provided from the base. Because they are no parallel sides it was very difficult to cut the tenons perfectly from top to bottom. So there are slight gaps where the pieces join on the top. If I was to do it again I would have used floating tenons or some heavy duty dowels so I could get a nice tight parallel joint. Still, it’s not so bad.
I decided to build a nice sturdy base and went with that x shaped leg design. The wood came from a salvaged piano. The cross braces help tie everything together and provide a lot of extra support for the tenons that hold the top together. Figured out all the weird angles in Sketchup and it came together nicely. Finished with BLO and wipe on poly.
Not bad for an self taught amateur I’d say! Thanks for looking.