|Project by Dinger||posted 02-06-2014 06:48 PM||1116 views||2 times favorited||4 comments|
This project was fun and easy. It was fun mostly because it was easy. Maybe my skills are finally starting to get better! Can’t remember exactly what issue from WOOD magazine this was from – yes I built a project from a magazine – but it was earlier in the year last year. Pretty basic construction – The shelves are screwed in from the back, the trim was applied with brads and glue. I used a sheet of RO ply for the back and shelves and some leftover QSWO for the trim. Took about two weeks and a total of around 12 hours for me. I work slow. I’m not in the woodworking business and I enjoy the slow pace compared to the frenzied pace of the rest of my life! I’m sure some can relate. I should have posted the picture of it after it was decorated – that’s my wife’s specialty!
What I got out of this piece was the fact that my skills have advanced significantly. I haven’t worked from a plan in a while and while milling I used the cut list almost exactly. The problem was that those were final dimensions. Instead of a pit in my stomach I was confident I could make it work – trimmed the male groove panel a little shorter, move the female groove over a bit – no problem. I also got to try out my new sharpening equipment from the Christmas season. I’m using DMT Dia-sharp plates which are the continuous surface plates. I finish with a freehand stropping method a la Paul Sellers. I still use my Veritas Mk II though. I’m not brave enough for the total freehand method he demonstrates. Although I did try it on my original Stanley #4 iron – which is extra because it is fitted with a Hock Blade – and it performed well. I now know I can knock out these simpler projects quite quickly then get back to more challenging projects to further advance my skills. Now I just need to learn photography…Thanks for looking!
-- "Begin every endeaver with the end ever in mind."