|Project by lanwater||posted 02-06-2014 07:09 AM||2525 views||17 times favorited||40 comments|
This was another exciting project I finished just in time for last Christmas.
I am sure some LJ’ers will recognize the design of Martyn (BritBoxmaker) .
His Blog on the construction is here: http://lumberjocks.com/BritBoxmaker/blog/24498
I tried one box without the top crossing strings to see how it would look. My wife is certain I forgot the strings (she might be right…).
wood: Walnut and Maple and Cherry
finish: wipe on satin poly gel from General Finishes
dimensions: 3 3/8×3 3/8 x 2 3/4 , 1/4 thick (second box slightly smaller since it’s missing the strings)
I did lose some pictures, my SD card seem to have lost some memory cells :)
I printed Martyn’s blog and pretty much followed it with a couple small differences.
I used my long sled to slice the pieces diagonally. That was a mistake since the piece is not supported at the end of the cut as seen below:
I switched to my crosscut sled.
Since I am making 2 boxes, I Started by cutting the 4 squares , 2 each of walnut and maple. Sliced them diagonally, stacked them up securely with double sided carpet tape, affixed them to a 1/4 inch plywood square that served as a carrier.
I proceeded to cut 2 arcs. I also cut the cherry strings that will go between those as seen in the 4th picture in the collage below (not the same thickness as the blade kerf Steve) :)
I then build a jig that will help in the glue up out of plywood
The 8 resulting pieces (4 per box) were cut again to get back my 45 degree since things moved during glue up. The cherry strings were also trimmed as well.
The whole thing was re-glued again as seen in the fourth picture
The resulting 4 pieces were trimmed on more time and resawed
I screw up the grain match somewhere here when I flipped the pieces to get the layout in the top right below. I probably mixed the pieces from both boxes as well since I number both boxes pieces starting with “1” (:
I glued up those thin pieces by sandwiching them between the edge of the glue platform and nails; raised the pieces a tiny, drove the nails, applied glued and pushed down on the pieces.
That resulted in the clamping pressure needed. You can see the glue squeeze out in the bottom right picture.
I chickened out and did not glue all four pieces in one shot. Instead I glue each half first then the whole. I used a small piece of white plastic laminate scrap to keep them separate.
I saw this technique somewhere online a couple of years ago and used it here.
Once the glue dried up and the pieces sanded, I applied a couple of coats of wipe on poly.
I then proceeded to cut the V groove on the router table.
I used a box cutter to separate the 4 corners.
All folded and taped up.
View of the inside of the lid.
The bottom was cut out of salvaged wood from a pallet. I think it’s pine but I am really unsure. All I can say is it sands really easy and it’s very soft. At a quarter inch thick it breaks with little pressure. One broke on me.
After careful measurement of the box top inside, I used the same technique as above and we get the bottom.
With some light sanding of the sides, it fits pretty nice.
Cut the shallow grooves (1/16 deep) needed for the air to escape when you close the box, and the air to go in when the box is opened.
Added some mitered walnut pieces around the bottom and we get those 2 boxes.
If you feel it’s very confusing, you are not alone, I feel the same way.
I did not take any notes and I am writing this over a month later…
Luckily you can refer to the source, which is very well written, for build instructions :)
I had fun building those 2 boxes.
Despite all the mistakes I made they came out ok; that’s a tribute to the fool proof process/technique Martyn came up with.
Any questions or comments are welcomed.
Thanks for looking.
-- Abbas, Castro Valley, CA