|Project by jumbojack||posted 195 days ago||1337 views||2 times favorited||11 comments|
Some friends came by with several pictures of bed frames they liked. They wanted a raw chunky look. We sourced some old barn wood, but the cost was too high for them. I told them I could achieve the look with regular construction lumber, the cost would be a fraction.
The first picture is the bed set up in their home. They love the look, it is just what they were looking for.
I looked through the lumber rack at HD for the roughest lumber I could find. Using a wire wheel on a drill, I further distressed the already distressed lumber. Then took a propane torch to the soft growth to darken and add some depth.
Using a 1/2” rabbeting bit in a router to inset the ply backing into the frame so it would be flush with the back of the frame. This was glued and nailed to the frame.
I had quite a bit of pallet wood stashed for such a project. Using constuction adhesive and pin nails, attached the pallet wood to the ply. It left a 1/4” recess inside the frame for a nice shadow line between the frame and the field.
Rockler bed frame hardware was used to attach the side rails to the head and footboards. They were easy to install and made a nice tight connection.
I again used Rockler bed frame hardware to attach the middle rail with 4×4 supports doweled to the rail for easy of dis-assembly.
The frame is all doweled together. I used two 3/4”x4” dowels in each cross member, for a total of four each, to attach to the uprights they were glued and pinned. Horizontal boring on my Shopsmith made all of that possible
Distressing the lumber and getting it to look used, took most of the time on this build. Getting all of those dowels to line up on the headboard was also a challenge as all 12 dowels on the headboard had to go together all at once. Since they all lined up pretty well a few smacks with a BIG mallet coaxed them into submission.
I finished it with a Minwax Golden Oak stain and then three coats of Watco natural. I wanted it sealed but no gloss. Some places did get a little glossy so I rubbed those sections out with some steel wool.
My customer/friends were very happy, so I was a happy woodworker.
Thanks for looking.
-- Made in America, with American made tools....Shopsmith