|Project by tommytenspeed||posted 02-05-2014 03:47 PM||2739 views||22 times favorited||16 comments|
I found the plans for this bed in Woodsmith magazine and decided to give it shot. I made my first one (of three) out of Red Oak and followed their plans to the letter with one exception; I inserted Walnut panels in the upper portion of the headboard. My wife was tiring of all the natural Red Oak I was producing and requested that I stain it a dark color. It turned out very nice so I decided to make several more.
In my second attempt I raised the footboard 3 1/2 inches so it would be close to level with the mattress. I like this improvement as it allows you sit on the end of the bed more comfortably and has, I think, a better look. I also increased the the length of the side rails by 2 inches as the original design was quite cramped and made putting the sheets on difficult.
In my third attempt I decided on African Mahogany and Oh, what a difference the wood makes! It turned out stunningly beautiful; unfortunately, pictures can do it no justice.
I highly recommend this bed as it is incredibly strong, heavy, sturdy and stable. It will last many decades and you will be very pleased with it. One recommendation I have is to forget the hardware they recommend; it is difficult to use and expensive at $20 a set. I found much better hardware at:
for about $5 a set. They work much better and are easier to use (once installed).
This weekend my son and I are making him one with a few refinements. In the original design all the stock pieces are butt jointed together. With his bed I am going to use my raised panel bit set to interlock all the pieces just as you would with kitchen cabinet doors and use flat panels of Lacewood veneer over 1/4 inch plywood for all the panel sections. Pictures to follow.
After it was all said and done, I spent about $300 in wood ($500 for the Mahogany version) and about 30-40 hours (including finishing) for each one. A very worthwhile project that is sure to please.