|Project by xraydav||posted 02-03-2014 02:42 PM||851 views||0 times favorited||1 comment|
Our oldest daughter is 34. Her daughter our granddaughter is 7. We still had in the attic pieces from our daughters furniture when she was a kid. She loved that furniture but the bed was destroyed and the draws on the dresser, night stand and matching desk (not pictured) no longer functioned. They were hard wood strips in the center of each draw space, that a bent metal slide would slide along. The metal wore, the worn metal started chewing up the hard wood strips and so the draws floated in the space they belonged… but she loved the painted flower design and said some day she would collect it and refinish it herself. They recently bought their first home. So I went to work telling them not to buy furniture for our grand daughter. I started by ripping out the wood strip slides on the dresser. My first thought was to replace them, but the metal slides (attached to the bottom of each draw) were so worn, I knew they would not run smoothly. Took everything off including the masonite back of the dresser and cut pine from 2×4s to fit on the sides of each draw space, bringing it just shy of flush with the rails. Installed metal draw slides on the bottom of each draw and the matching slide on the new pine styles I installed for each draw. Now the draws worked perfectly. Next the tops of the night stand and dresser were destroyed by my little angel 26 years ago between using them for crafts, writing, marker art…, and countless other things there were so many stains and scratched, I decided to refinish the tops. The desk had wood pattern masonite so it just needed a good cleaning. Now I had to make the bed. You can see from the pictures what the headboard I made looks like. I did not want to use solid wood for the verticals as it would be so heavy, I used 3/4 pine and put my Powermatic Artisian table saw to the test. Cut 8 pieces 52” long on a 45* angle and laid masking tape across the workbench in three places, laid 4 pieces side by side and closed them inside the masking tape and the angles were right on the first time. I put a solid wood 1” piece in the bottom 12 inches of each post to give me something to bolt the bed frame to and it came out great. Now I had the problem of reproducing the art work on the front of each draw. I used my marking gauge around the curve at the top of the headboard twice, once where I wanted the top of the art to be and then 2” below that. Now I had lines to stay in. I divided the art (seen on the 30 year old draw front) into 5 sections, the center and two on each side and took my time and laid it out in pencil then got out the oil paints and worked to match the colors best I could. To make a long story end, my daughter cried when she saw her old set reborn, and my granddaughter loves her “new” bedroom set.
-- David, Norwood Mass, firstname.lastname@example.org