|Project by LMJ||posted 02-02-2014 10:00 PM||1846 views||1 time favorited||4 comments|
Okay, I know, most folks would scoff at the Jointer/Planer that I picked up but it was a much needed addition to my shop and has, thusfar, done exactly what was advertised and what was required for my latest project. Kind of a late Christmas present to me from me. The Jet JJP-8BT had its problems coming out of the box, the biggest of which was the manual – see picture 3. Couldn’t believe it but… self explanatory if you look at it. Printed part of the manual from the net and forged ahead. (Just glad I didn’t get the Russian tablesaw. ;) The testing and setup went easier than most that I read about when researching the product. Had a bit of a time getting the blade depth just right but once there, no problems. I was able to run a couple of boards through – had some issues getting the dust collector properly set underneath but, brain farts aside, all went okay. It didn’t take long to find that there was a small nick in both blades somehow that caused a raised channel less than a mm wide about 5 inches from the fence so was a bit miffed about that. When I called Jet service about it, they sent a new manual and a new set of blades out that day so I can’t complain about that side of things.
I ran the first couple of boards with it sitting on the benchtop. WAAAYYY too tall for me. Tried it on the floor… Way too short. Had to find the happy medium that would also allow for storage out of the way. The cart is just your basic box with some wheels under it for mobility and it just about scrapes the bottom of the bench when put away. It was still a bit low so I added the fold-down legs to the sides and, voila, just about right. Really do need to make a drawer for the “stuff” that is in the box but have bigger fish to fry for the moment and will get to it.
-- Just another day in paradise.