|Project by Slacker||posted 09-01-2008 11:14 PM||1901 views||0 times favorited||18 comments|
I am going to be a granpa in January and I am making a crib for the baby. After some serious price shopping, I finally purchased $300 of maple and cherry. Got home, hit the machines, and cut the legs (1 3/4×2 1/4). There were some mortises to be cut into the legs, and instead of being disciplined and cutting the rest of the sticks, I went for the mortises.
I cut the mortises on the wrong face of the sticks. Argh! What a terrible feeling when you are looking at the instructions and things dont make sense, and then you think about it, then look at the boards and the mortises, and then you figure it out… I am an idiot! And this time I was an idiot with a $70 piece of wood.
After some deliberating, I decided to use the leftover pieces of cherry to fill the mortises, and then cover the mistake with some quarter inch strips cut from a long piece of the same stick of cherry. This is the photographic journal of a screw up, followed by the recovery.
Nice mortises, wrong face, argh!
Cut some sticks to stuff the holes… they fit.
After glue up, the mortises are now covered up, planed and ready to receive a new face…
The new face… in two slices. Not perfect, but better than buying a new $70 stick.
Ready to get a mortise on the correct face…
The rest of the crib is in the thumbnail. I am excited about this project, so I will focus and stop messing up!
-- Adapt, improvise, overcome