|Project by TZH||posted 180 days ago||740 views||1 time favorited||6 comments|
Not the best photos in the world, but will do for now. This piece has been in my shop for as long as I’ve had my shop. It’s a branch with two sprigs coming out from it in both directions. At first, we thought it should be a wall hanging. Tried that, but didn’t like it. So it sat…and sat…and sat…and sat.
Finally, just before Christmas last year, I was looking in my scrap pile and happened to lay eyes on it again. We had decided to do/make things for each other this year instead of spending a small fortune in the big box stores, and this is what I decided to make for my lovely wife, Katherine (along with an oak cutting board that was the precursor to a cutting board I was in the process of making when I had my fight with my table saw and lost).
Anyway, the cleanup was the most time consuming. I’m finding that a plastic “wire” brush for a 3/8” drill works the best for this. I got mine at an Ace Hardware here on the mountain. The next step was to cut off the bottom sprigs level. That was easily done on my router planer (adjustable) upside down and secured safety with tie downs, screws, and wood blocks clamped up against it to keep it from moving. Once I got done with the planing, it was a simple matter to clamp the piece to my radial drill press table, adjust the arm on the drill press to line up for drilling the holes for the candles, find the right size forstner bit, and drill out the holes.
I finished this with one coat of Natural Danish Oil and three coats of gloss spar varnish. Turned out pretty nice, and Katherine liked it a whole lot.
Thanks for looking.