|Project by Rickterscale||posted 01-29-2014 06:24 PM||1069 views||0 times favorited||8 comments|
I got the myrtle bowl blank from Rockler a while back. I’ve been playing with lidded boxes lately, and made this for my mother for Christmas. It was going to end up a bit taller, but I kept getting catches around the rim of the bowl, which forced me to keep turning away material. I’m still working on technique and approach with the tools, but I think I’m finally catching on. It almost ended up just a bowl instead of a lidded box. When turning the lid, I got a catch that tore away a big chunk of wood, as seen in the pic. After the frustration about ruining the lid diminished, I went back out to the shop, found the chunk that tore out, glued it back on with some dark walnut tinted epoxy, and was able to finish it. If I were to do it over again, I would probably just leave the epoxy clear, so the glue job wouldn’t be so apparent. But the tinted epoxy makes it look like it has some spalting, so it ends up working okay. The finial is from African mahogany.
Sanded to 600 grit and finished with cellulose sanding sealer and carnuba wax. I don’t recall the final dimensions, but it’s around 6” wide by 3.5” tall, plus finial.