|Project by crowie||posted 01-29-2014 10:44 AM||1995 views||6 times favorited||20 comments|
An Aussie Style Tough Tipper – Dump Truck.
I’ve seen a few of these as finished builds and as I really hadn’t been in the shed a lot decided to have a go BUT wanted to personalize it.
I found the plans somewhat difficult especially as they don’t have a set of patterns, just exploded drawings; so made quite a few mistakes along the way.
I firstly glued the windscreen and surrounds together before running it through the saw to clean it up.
Then I glued the Huon Pine body to the Camphor bonnet [hood] and the mudguards [fenders] to the body. I glued the chassis to the body after gluing the location spacer in place [according to the plan I also need to secure it with 3 screws].
I’ve remade the radiator from merbau decking as shown in the photo and modified the front bumper using some Aussie Red Cedar.
I have also decided the truck would look better [tougher] with a set of exhaust stacks. [the design is modeled on a mate on LumberJocks Logging Truck].
Firstly I had to fix a huge mistake on the cabin were the tipper chassis is fitted; took an hour & a half, but okay now.
The cutting list says one thing and the written ’’how to’’ says another; I hadn’t put the one & one together…. [I wish there where patterns with the plans].
I also have remade the side-step as I misread the cutting list, but then added the detail of a front mudflap.
The front axle assembly is ready for gluing in place and the rear is almost there.
I’ve been working on the ’’tipper back’’ and again repairing some mistakes, but I think it’s coming along okay now.
In the plans it says to used 3/16’’ Axle Pegs for the lights but my cupboard was bare.
I remembered that a bloke in Brisbane had started selling wooden wheels & parts so after a search I found him. The price & availability were okay so made the purchase.
I’m continuing to personalize the build and that’s what I’ve done with the radiate pine ’’tipper back’’ with the ribbing using the merbau strips.
There’s a bit of a mock-up too in the photos.
I think I’m starting to get toward the home stretch with the making of the parts & modifications before assembly, glue and 4 coats of polyurethane clear gloss.
The rear axle assembly plus the rear Tassie Oak bumper & lights are the main ones.
Here is another mockup with the exhaust stacks on the side.
I sent an email to Peterbilt in the USA asking about ’’tie pins’’ from there Peterbilt Shop.
Health issues slowed me down with another round of cortisone injections but it went well, just had to wait for it to work.
I’ve managed to enjoy some shed time in little doses which is good for where the build is at.
Lots of prep, gluing, drying and waiting….starting with the cabin, the sidesteps, the exhaust stacks, the front bumper.
Made and glued the rear bumper with lights & mudflaps, not on the plans.
I fitted the tipper tray adding a set of guides .
I went mad and ordered some of the ’’Peterbilt’’ Tie Pins from the Peterbilt Store in USA to add to my trucks as number plates.
Forgot to mention I made the ’’air-horns’’ for on the cabin roof plus a ’’toolbox’’ for behind the cabin.
Added the filler caps to the fuel tanks ready to glue them in place under the chassis.
Assembled the front and rear axles assembles for gluing to the truck chassis.
All the assembly is complete.
I just need to do some sanding, then a three or four coats of clear gloss polyurethane pressure pack….
A couple of notations:
I wasn’t happy with the front mudflaps being as thin as they were, so I replaced them with slightly thicker timber plus a set of air tanks for extra support…
The two  grandsons being 3 & 6 years old will give the tipper a good test to see if it’s really a TOUGH TRUCK…
If I do another one I’d change a few things like bigger fuel tanks, keep the front mudguard wheel arch closer to the top of the front wheels, make the tipper tray/body a little longer…would of been good to know how to make a easy hoist for the tipper!!
BUT generally I’m pleased with the end result ever if I had difficulties with the plans; all the personal modifications/details have turned out okay.
Four coats of clear gloss polyurethane. ALMOST FINISHED .
The timber colours and grain have come up a treat. I love the camphor laurel bonnet.
The mix of timbers seems to worked out okay too.
You’ll find Huon Pine, Cyprus Pine, Merbau, Radiata Pine, Tassie Oak, Red Cedar, some old el-cheapo pallet hardwood; but I’m unsure of the timber in the front mudguards or the tipper tray chassis.
The wheels are shop bought, as are the various sizes of axle pegs.
FINALLY the ’’Peterbilt’’ Lapel Pin has arrived and has been glued in place.
I reckon I got pretty good service for Fedex Economy International from the Peterbilt Shop; US$10 and only 10 days to Australia. LOOKS PRETTY DAMN GOOD TO ME, really finishes the truck..
THANK YOU ONE AND ALL FOR SHARING MY JOURNEY. A special thanks to my little helper ’’handy’’ for keeping me on track, most of the time..Cheers, Peter…
-- Lifes good, Enjoy each new day...... Cheers from "On Top DownUnder" Crowie