|Project by scottb||posted 04-04-2007 06:32 AM||2561 views||1 time favorited||13 comments|
Unable to repair the broken mahogany screwdriver I made last Dec., I was able to salvage all the metal components and refabricate a new screwdriver (three actually). One out of maple (from the neighbors Civil-war era Maple), and two out of cherry, (right off the firewood pile, courtesy of my father-in-law).
I resawed the cherry into blocks, whereas the maple was turned down from a branch, pictures in a previous blog entry.
Again, I could have made these with a kit, but it was more fun (and marginally cheaper) to use a hacksawed open orange plastic handled jobby, and a piece of copper pipe (and no instructions) than to use a kit.
I drilled out the center hole with my shopsmith set to horizontal drillpress mode, then epoxied the nut (or whatever you call it) into place. After drying and cleaning up any internal drips, and making sure the shaft of the screwdriver would fit (using a file when necc.) I mounted these on the lathe with the drillpress attachement holding the shaft of the screwdriver as low as possible on the shaft to prevent wobbling. A quick turn down to .88” to accept the pipe ferrule (gotta love those calipers) and some epoxy to hold that in place (to prevent splitting if used for prying). A little wait for the epoxy to dry and another quick turn at the lathe brought these down to their final size/shape.
The first has a slight taper, the second has almost a coke bottle shape. This one will be Rob’s replacement for the “beer bottle” shaped one that just wasn’t up to task. A new version of the old theme. Well, we learn more from our failures. These are much, much sturdier.
The third (which is really the first in this set) was formerly the “rustic-grumpy ol' screwdriver” This has a similar “coke-bottle” shape, which fits the hand nicely. I filled a small crack with epoxy before taking it for a final turn. I LOVE the grain on this one.
The cherry ones are sanded to 500, and buffed with shavings to a nice sheen, and finished with boiled linseed oil.
Gorgeous, if I do say so myself – such an upgrade from the old handle – but also made for work!