|Project by Gianni||posted 01-26-2014 04:19 AM||1152 views||9 times favorited||8 comments|
I really like how this project went and finished. I spent a fair amount of time thinking about how to cut the dadoes and profiles such that the grooves from the inserts didn’t come through front and back, etc.
The back is a scrollsaw relief technique posted a few days back by woodreamer, thanks for the idea there, I think it turned out well. The front etching didn’t go well, but the flaws aren’t that noticeable. The original packing plastic was peeling off the acrylic (it’s been in the garage for a few years looking for a project) so I tried to use 2 layers of clear:-|packing tape. The tape stuck too well, and was difficult to see, so I ended up scraping for several hours with the xacto, and still had lines that were cut but not etched, and thus dead-ended. Oh well, I’m certainly not disappointed in the overall result.
Top slides out, front half of bottle holders pull out to load/unload. Acrylic instead of glass, because once you’re done with the first two bottles, glass isn’t your friend anymore. Made from some hackberry shorts I picked up around Christmas just because they were there, cheap, and I had never worked with it before. Not particularly a pretty wood, easy enough to work with I guess. Jury is skeptical, but still out. Walnut miter keys and a matching decorative rope.