|Project by kiefer||posted 01-23-2014 02:22 AM||18795 views||103 times favorited||40 comments|
Here is my new bar clamp which is a spin off from my vise I am working on and a project I have had in mind for some time .
Here is a Pic of how I made the raster bars ,I cut a bunch of pieces and glued them onto 1/4” MDF backer aligning them with a straight piece of hardwood and checking for square as I went .
Next I trimmed the bottom off and followed by trimming the sides .
I made the raster bar to try out on the vise but it was not what I was looking for so I decided to take the time to build this bar clamp The new clamp has three screws to allow for initial tightening with the bottom screw in the head stock and two more screws for tilting the clamping pads for fifteen degree in either direction from ninety degree .
I can use this for bringing a box corner or mitre joint to square or bring a frame with odd angles into the proper angle alignment and also flatten out a panel made from several boards by manipulating the screws .
It will even hold my wife’s tablet or I Phone and is gentle enough to hold a ornament with the leather faced clamping pads .There are already other uses that I will explore when I have a set of these built .
The headstock has a foot that can swivel to give the clamp more stability and I also made some adaptor pad that slide onto the clamping pads which can be used to install other attachments .
The screw handles are wood wrapped with leather strips, good and soft grip and the screws are threaded and glued into the handle and counter locked with a brass fitting .
The raster mechanism is very simple and to close the clamp the tail stock slides making a clacking sound like a toy and to open it the little lever releases the lock and it slides open .
This is a proto type and I don’t think it will see any use in the shop but serve as a fun ornament but now that I have build it I will make myself a set of these as I find they work great and I also found that I can simplify the construction .
Total cost was very minimal as I used up stuff from around the shop plus some coins which are the brass pieces embedded in the sides .
A real fun and different project and no plan as usual .