|Project by ThomasPittman||posted 01-22-2014 02:15 AM||1183 views||0 times favorited||10 comments|
This is my third project that I’ve done on my Rikon Mini Lathe that my wife gave me for Christmas. All three were made from poplar and purpleheart that I had left over from my Christmas snowflake projects that I gave as Christmas presents. I will eventually post those also. The first two turnings were also bowls. The first was a five layer lamination of poplar and purple hear. I realized that this way waste a lot of wood and I also wanted to incorporate something to make the bowl more interesting so I experimented with segmentation on my next bowl. I made this one pretty small, just wanting to test the process. It seemed to work out ok, so I started on this third one. Still being new to the process, I pretty much just guessed on the sizes for the individual rings. At first it seemed to be fine, but as I turned down the bowl, I found that the top two rings weren’t a good fit. To shape the bowl the way I wanted would make the wall thickness too thin, so I had to settle the way it is, for fear of the bowl disintegrating on the lathe. Even as is, when held up to the light, you can see the light shining through the poplar. To the touch, it still feels solid, so it’ll do. I guess it’s all a big learning process. It seems like every project I do, whatever type of woodworking it is, I learn something for next time.
Sanded to 400 grit and finished with a simple salad beeswax finish. I’ve done some research on different finishes, but for now, I’m pretty much happy to get my turning projects completed and off the lathe intact.