|Project by CanuckMike||posted 01-22-2014 01:39 AM||6125 views||9 times favorited||6 comments|
I really love my Bosch 4100 table saw… I know it’s not a fancy Delta, Jet or Powermatic contractor or cabinet saw but it works for me and more importantly my space. It came with the typical steel angle frame which I knew some day I would make mobile. So I designed this saw station which is essentially 2 3/4” MDF boxes screwed down to a 2×4 frame that is up on 4” casters.
The Mobile Base
For the mobile base I added 3 support braces between the long 2×4 sides and everything was glued and screwed together. I used blocks cut from some 2×8 scrap I had to support the wheels in the corners. The table saw end has 2 stationary wheels and the other end has 2 swivel locking wheels. When I move this somewhere and lock it down it doesn’t go anywhere.
For the MDF boxes I cut 1/4” dados into the sides before I put them together with biscuit joinery. I then glued and used cabinet bolts to attach the tall vertical box and the short horizontal box together in place. Then I screwed the MDF box unit to the mobile base.
I used 1/4” hardboard cut to fit the span between each of the dados. Then for the drawer sides I decided to simply make pine boxes using 1×4 material. The box sides were rabbeted and glued together and then attached to the hardboard bases using glue and nails. It was extremely simple the key was to measure and make the boxes undersized enough to leave room for some play for the drawers to move without any binding. You may notice that I did not add any drawer fronts to these drawers and that was by design. I can open these from either side of the unit. This is not only handy but it is practical since these drawers are about 30” deep.
Dust Collection Upgrade
Before I even built this mobile base I added some spray foam to the underside of my top (shown in photo) which stopped dust from flying out of every opening. However after using the saw on this mobile base for a year I noticed a lot of dust was being trapped under the saw that wasn’t collected from the shroud. I would frequently have to take my shop vac and do my best to suck out the trapped dust. You can see in the photo the strata of various layers of saw dust after I removed the saw from the stand. I then installed a 4”x10” end boot in an area under the table saw which when hooked up to my dust collector should eliminate this issue. I cut the hole in the base in an area that had open storage so I didn’t have to lose any drawer space. I then screwed the boot in place and then used duct tape to seal any gaps between the boot and the top.
Keep in mind that this was a retrofit upgrade. If I had to do it all over again I would have purchased one of those plastic table saw dust collection inserts and designed it into the saw base. That would have been optimal but in the end I now have the same result and realistically in less space.
Other Future Upgrades
My next upgrade that I am working on now is adding a router table insert to the gap in the extended fence. I have also been toying with the idea of building and mounting a flip up out feed table but there is much more thought required for that dealing with dust collection ports etc.