|Project by Rex B||posted 01-20-2014 02:38 PM||1828 views||15 times favorited||5 comments|
Over the past month I have been working on a couple of projects to create storage out of wasted space in our kitchen. I would say I did it to keep my wife happy, but really it was for myself as well – I’m a big fan of organization and efficient storage.
The first project was storage racks for the inside of our pantry door. I had about 4 inches of space to work with and came up with a design based on examples I found on the web. There are 2 racks: a spice rack and a rack for aluminum foil, ceran wrap, etc. They are built from 1/2” baltic birch plywood, oak dowels, and some leftover beadboard paneling. They are attached to the hollow-core door with “molly bolts”, and seem very secure. I painted them with oil based cabinet paint using my Harbor Freight spray gun, which worked very well. I have found the trick is to thin the paint quite a bit.
The second project was much simpler. I have been wanting to make a built-in organizer for our silverware drawer to do away with the plastic organizer tray, but the drawers in our cabinets (cheap contractor grade) just weren’t big enough. I decided to replace the 3/4 extension slides with new full extension slides, then realized that I would be using 22” slides on an 18” drawer, so I built a new drawer box with about 3 inches of additional room in the back. I only did this one drawer for now, but will probably upgrade the rest in the future. The second-to-last picture shows the adjacent drawer pulled all the way out, which illustrates the space we gained that was just wasted in the cabinet. The drawer now holds 16 sets of silverware, whereas we could only fit 8 sets before.
The drawer is also built from 1/2” baltic birch and 1/4” birch plywood for the bottom. It’s hard to see in the photos, but I used tongue-and-dado joinery for the first time, and it came out very nice. I finished the drawer box with a few coats of rattle-can shellac. The whole drawer project only took about a week, which was nice. Most of my projects take much longer, since I can only work on them for an hour or two a day. My wife and I are both really happy with the extra space we have gained in the kitchen!