|Project by Aaron McCain||posted 214 days ago||1772 views||16 times favorited||7 comments|
My grandfather gave me his bench top drill press about 5-6 years ago and I attached a piece of melamine to the little table to serve as a drill press table. This worked through the Christmas season this year, but I decided it was time to upgrade.
So I trimmed a piece of MDF with some scrap cherry and covered it with a piece of laminate. Then I routed out grooves for a pair of T-tracks and a recess for a sacrificial plate. I sunk the holes for the mounting bolts into the recess and drilled a hole that extends through to the underlying table.
I had a thick piece of mahogany lying around that I used for a simple fence. I used slots instead of holes to allow for the fence to pivot instead of staying perpendicular to the edges of the table.
The last feature is a dust collection box beneath the table to use in conjunction with sanding drums. I made a few plates with holes sized for each of the drums. This works pretty sweet. Now I need to come up with something to collect the chips generated through normal drilling operations.
I like it and ironically had to use the table to finish the fence.