|Project by kenn||posted 01-17-2014 01:55 AM||634 views||2 times favorited||9 comments|
This is a small table based upon candle stands that I turned out of walnut. The top is 13 1/2” around and it stands 25 1/4” tall. I developed the pattern for the leg turnings myself based upon the familiar windsor legs. I finished it with BLO and Tried and True Original Wood Finish.
For such a small project, there are a few complex steps. The legs are joined to the top with tapered tenons. Since the top is so thin, there isn’t a lot of room for getting the leg placement just right. I drilled the holes with a spoon bit and brace. Then I mount the top in the leg vise making sure that the hole is exactly perpendicular (hope that makes sense, a line from the center point of the turning to the hole is perpendicular to the reference surface). I carefully ream the holes, test fitting often. The objective is get all three legs lined up with its center line and the leg location on the floor about 1 3/4” out from a plumb line from the table edge … And just to make it difficult, the scribe marks for the stretchers need to be equidistant from each other. It takes minor adjustments in the tapered hole to get the optimal placement.
I’ve made 8 of these tables. They are handy. The original one’s top is 12 5/8”, which the wife says is too small. That is posted under my projects. At 13 1/2”, this one is perfect. You can put your favorite beverage and a book on it or it holds an IPad. The legs need enough splay to make it stable and the top needs to be thin, less than 5/8”, or it becomes top heavy. The last picture is its usual home.
The top is slip matched walnut. The legs are wedged to the top and pegged at the stretchers. I used Old Brown Glue. It is my entry for the Winter 2014 Contest. Thanks for looking and all comments are welcome.
-- Every cloud has a silver lining