|Project by wunderaa||posted 01-15-2014 06:38 PM||1261 views||0 times favorited||3 comments|
For no particular reason, I set out to make a new shift knob for my car. I chose Wenge because it was a fairly close match to my faux-wood interior trim.
The rough shape was cut on the band saw, followed by rasps, then sand paper. I used an epoxy finish since it needs to be quite durable. It does obstruct the view of the grain somewhat, depending on the light direction, but that’s the price you pay I guess.
One note on the epoxy. I used a marine epoxy with a somewhat long curing time. The first coat I poured on, I did so right after mixing. The liquid was far too thin and did not level out correctly. After curing, I sanded it back down and basically allowed that first coat to be my pore filler.
On the next attempt, I mixed the epoxy and let it sit until it was somewhat viscous (about an hour) then poured on and used a flame to pop air bubbles. That process really did the trick, as what you see required no polishing whatsoever. I got a nice, thick coat that evened out quite nicely.