|Project by thiswoodshop||posted 01-11-2014 07:25 AM||1098 views||0 times favorited||4 comments|
I eventually got around to making my end-grain cutting board. The idea for this one was of inspiration for the one Marc from the WoodWhisperer build a couple of years ago. Mine was made out of 4 different wood species. Some of the little parts was just off cuts that was laying around the shop from previous projects. The main body of the project was made from Rhodesian Teak and all the decorative Parts consist of African Wild Olive Wood , Walnut and Tamboti Wood.
The initial glue up was small enough to fit on the planer bed. This was very fortunate, this made the peace very flat and consistent for the end gran glue up. I ripped it to strips on my table saw…
After I ripped the peace into stripes I alternated every other one to for a patern. The i proceeded with the glue-up. I mede sure that the glue joint was not starved of glue. I eft the unit to dry overnight.
I am very happy with the final product. It was waded to 220 grid and then a good lay of mineral oil got applied. This is the only think i did for sealing the bard. I have never used this method but hopefully with a regular coat it will stay looking like new.
-- Mo... For safety is not a gadget but a state of mind. ~ "Eleanor Everet" - www.thiswoodshop.com