|Project by Danpaddles||posted 01-07-2014 12:28 AM||804 views||0 times favorited||6 comments|
No huge story here, not all that big a deal for experienced turners.
My wife bought me a starter set for turning pens, for a Christmas present. Yes, she is a good wife. And, I dropped some hints. And I had bought a new (to me) lathe, which I showed to her, two weeks before Christmas. (I do not always show new tools to her. She has NO IDEA what my RBI Hawk does).
The first effort sits on her desk. Sorry, no photo.
The 2nd, third, and fourth efforts taught me to buy spare tubes at Rockler. I made a very pretty hunk of cocobolo shatter, along with purple heart, and (??) yellow heart. Gotta use a lot of that glue when you slide that tube in! And the gouge needs to be VERY sharp.
One of the good ones is pictured.
I worked out the details, but busted wood tubes caused me to go in search of instruction, youtube this time, since it was late at night and I was enjoying a cold beer and warm fireplace.
While cruising Youtube, I happened upon Cap’t Eddie! http://eddiecastelin.com/ Very nice presence on the camera, full of hints about turning, and he really knows what he is doing. One of his videos convinced me I could turn some Bic style pens, cutting the cost of pen guts drastically.
That is the other picture. Four pens pictured, there is another camera shy one rolling around here somewhere. There is a somewhat separate learning curve for the simple pens. Yes, I made some more kindling. That’s okay, though. They were small pieces.
One hint Cap’t Eddie did not share. I found that the Bic pen tube had some embossing, enough that I could not force it into the hole I had drilled. (My fingers are still blue from the one that broke!) I drilled a hole all the way thru a piece of rectangular steel tubing, I usually use it to make wood dowel rod. The 1/8 inch hole worked just right to scrape the embossing off the pen tube.
I would be out there tonight making some more pens, but when it gets to minus 10, it is very difficult to heat the shop- which masqueraded as a garage, until I bought this house.
So I’ll just write about woodworking tonight!
Next up- figuring out how to get some shine on the pens. I bought some Hut. Then I tried some bees wax, I had some very dark stuff here. It looked great on red oak, right up until I cracked the tiny end of that one.
I tried the super glue, holding the rag to work it in. Got pretty exciting when the glue all of a sudden decided it was time to set up. (That was one of the ‘learning pens’ I referred to earlier). Now I know why Cap’t Eddie uses toilet paper to rub out turnings. Yup, my rag tried to become a permanent part of the pen.
Last effort was nothing more then spraying some shellac on the pen while it was turning in the lathe. I think that one needs some further 600 grit sanding though. Oh well, I’ll get there!
-- Dan V. in Indy