|Project by Karson||posted 225 days ago||1038 views||1 time favorited||15 comments|
Our Mason Dixon Woodworkers Club had a workshop 2 months ago to make a mantle clock. The wood that was supplied was cherry wood but I opted to bring my own, so I brought some Maple Burl that I had.
The clock is made mostly with 1/2” wood and 2 pieces about 3 7/8 X 9 3/4 of 3/4” wood. That piece has an Ogee cut on 3 sides and it goes above and below the sides.
I resawed my own lumber and took the piece after the 9/16” surfaced to 1/2” to get some pieces of 1/4” that I used for the drawer sides, back and bottom.
Since I was an instructor for the class, I only did the cutting to size of my pieces but didn’t assemble anything until later at home.
We are trying to schedule some workshop’s that would allow the students to make some additional items for Christmas etc.
When I got home I proceeded to cut up wood for 8 additional clocks. 2 mahogany, 2 Cherry, 2 Red Aromatic Cedar, 1 Tiger Maple and 1 Sapele.
The clocks were made and I let the 6 of my children select (oldest first), My wife got the one that was made with the Maple Burl. ( I know how to smooth over some hard spots She also wanted to get the Sapele one.).
The picture has the Maple burl on top left and also center in picture 3. To the right is a cherry version. Both of the cherry clocks has some crotch figure in the drawer front. Bottom left is a Red Cedar version. It has no finish so you can smell the cedar odor. and bottom right is Mahogany, it also had some figure in the drawer front.
The Sapele one (not shown was ribbon stripe grain and the Tiger Maple had some nice grain patters on all surfaces. (Those clocks have gone home) I let them choose if they wanted Roman or Arabic dials and 2 were changed that was the Sapele and Tiger Maple. They just swapped clock faces.
The clock is 10” X 13” approx. The inside measurement for the clock face is 7 1/2 X 7 1/2 The frame for the glass covered 7/8” on each side so the clock dial was shown to support a 5 1/2” dial ring. The problem that most dial rings that are 7 1/2” have a 6 1/2” dial ring and if you used that then the side of the dial ring was hidden at the 3, 6, 9 and 12 o’clock position.
I found a company that had paper dials that were 5 1/2” but the clock face was not centered because it was assumed that you would cut a circle dial for a circle clock.
So I scanned in a Roman and an Arabic clock face and printed it on 110 lb card stock that was Ivory at 156% and I got a 5 1/2” dial. It was printed in the middle of an 8 X 11 paper so I trimmed it to the correct size. I used a leather or gasket punch to make the 5/16” home in the center. Good old Harbor Freight tools.
The clock dial is 1/4” plywood with the paper just sitting on top and held with the clock motor washer and the outer frame for the clock motor support.
I made a glass cutting jig that allowed me to cut the necessary 6 1/8” square glass pieces with accuracy. I’ve not had good luck with Lowes glass cutting personnel. They’ve cut anywhere from 1/8 too small to 1/8 too big. Not what you need. I wanted precision.
The plans didn’t show any way to attach the glass frame. They assumed that you’d sand it perfectly and friction would hold it in place. I wanted something better so I drilled a small hole in upper left and lower right in the support bracket for the glass frame. I used a phillips screwdriver tip in a drill to make the countersink hole for the #4 5/8” screw. The glass is held perfectly safe. The glass stops are 1/4” quarter round cut from the same wood that the clock was made from. I used a portable mini router with a quarterround bit and rounder over both sides of both surfaces so I had 4 pieces done. Then a cut a 1/4” cut on the table saw, 3/8” deep first on the edge of both sides of the edge and then layed the board flat and then cut the 1/4” roundover clear. I used a push block to keep the cut out 1/4 round from flying our as it was trapped between the blade and the fence.
The finish on all of the clock with the exception of the cedar was Penofin oil for hardwood. Two coats wiped on and wiped off. Penofin oil is made from the nuts of the Brazilian Rosewood Tree, in the hopes of keeping the local natives from cutting down those trees. It is similar to Tung oil in use.
The bottom of the clock has had a piece of PSA cork applied to make it somewhat less slippery.
They were well received and everyone seemed to be happy with the ones that were left when time came for them to select.
The plans for the clock are in Woodsmith issue 108 December 1996.
-- I've been blessed with a father who liked to tinker in wood, and a wife who lets me tinker in wood. Southern Delaware email@example.com †