|Project by Sprung||posted 01-05-2014 05:19 PM||936 views||0 times favorited||7 comments|
Summer 2013 I made some bottle stoppers, an ice cream scoop, and a rolling pin when I was visiting my parents and could use my dad’s lathe. Fast forward to the end of 2013 and I had the chance to acquire a lathe of my own. It’s an older AMT/Craftsman dual tube lathe and it needed a little work to get up and running, but the price was right: free! Cleaned it up, replaced the aluminum tubes (one of which was bent) with some black pipe, and repurposed an old washing machine motor to power it.
This is my first finished turning since getting my lathe set up and the first plate I’ve turned. It’s made of Big Leaf Maple from a crotch area w/ bark inclusion. It’s a little under 5” in diameter, stands about 3/8” tall. It’s down to about 1/8” thickness in the center. Sanded to 400 grit. There is some tearout on the back/bottom that I didn’t get completely out as doing so would have caused it to self destruct since it was so thin already. I decided to leave it since it wouldn’t be seen unless you turn it over, so it wouldn’t destruct, and as a reminder/lesson. It also started out a little bigger, about 6” in diameter, but ended up being finished smaller after it flew off the lathe and the edges broke and I had to remount it and give it another go. Finish is spray on Deft semi-gloss lacquer. Finish isn’t perfect – I’m still getting used to using spray lacquer. Might take it and buff it out with some 0000 steel wool and paste wax when I have a chance.
It shows signs that I still have much to learn and many skills to learn and build, but overall I am very happy with it and how it turned out – especially for my first plate/first turning of this type. I’m primarily a flatworker, but I’m now hooked on turning too!
I’ve already given this to my wife and it will find a home as a new place to set our wedding rings on when we’re not wearing them.
-- Matt, SW MN, https://www.facebook.com/anewcreationwoodworks