|Project by toddbeaulieu||posted 208 days ago||1054 views||7 times favorited||3 comments|
Ok, so I messed up a bit. Oh well, I’m not going to let it get me down. The rack looks really nice and it’s way better than leaning the clamps against ever changing targets and constantly hearing them crash down to the floor.
Somehow I came to 1.5” spacing for the slots. And somehow it didn’t occur to me to test this before running the actual milled board through. Even better, I ran two boards so I’d have a spare in case I needed it later.
While testing it I noticed that my newer clamps didn’t fit in consecutive slots. What a dope. But immediately I realized that if I had two rows I could alternate them. So in the same linear run I’d double my capacity.
Like I said, it’s not perfect, but it works and it’s not like I needed that wall room under the rack anyway.
As it stands, my older bessey clamps fit in consecutive slots just fine (and thus the lower slots are wasted), but the newer revos and the jets do not, so they require the alternating pattern.
This was made out of milled white oak with a simple indexing fence custom made. The ends are rabbeted to hide the back, but the grooved boards simply abut the side. I didn’t bother dadoing them in. I rounded over most of the edges and in person it’s quite clean and professional looking.