|Project by anigan||posted 01-01-2014 04:48 PM||1136 views||0 times favorited||4 comments|
A few days before new years eve the door on my snowblower shed finally broke. Now I know what you’re thinking “A shed just for a snow blower? Tha’ts just crazy… brilliant, but crazy!”. At my old house I could drive the snowblower out of my garden shed door up to the driveway, but when we purchased our new house the only way from the shed to my driveway would be by way of cutting a nice path through the middle of my lawn with the snowblower.
Not looking forward to reseeding a trough in my lawn every year I decided to build a shelter for my snowblower on the side of the house. My initial plan was to build it out of pallets, but my wife wasn’t too happy with the idea of a pallet shed in the front of the house for the world to marvel at. So like many great structures, the commissioning of my shed came with conditions, that it must match the house and not look like it was slapped together by a child with a box of felt tacks.
But I digress…..
Snowblower shed door Mark I was to made with 2 specifications in mind. the first was to act as a ramp, the second was to fold in half as with 2 cars in my driveway I don’t have a lot of room to open the door to get the snow blower out. So Mark I had hinges in the middle and a 45 degree cut between the 2 halves to help create a ramp like shape for the snow blower to get up.
But with great intentions usually come great redesigns….
Mark I suffered from many flaws. The first was that I never really left enough gap around the door for expansion, this aided with the fact that I never got to paint Mark I made for a door too big for its opening. A few hits with the block plane fixed that problem.
The next 2 issues were really the downfall of the door. First was the angle at which the door was cut in half. 45 degrees and a short plank really just made for a 2 inch high incline that acted more like a wheel chock than a ramp, meaning I would have to lift the blower in over my “ramp” each time I used it. The last nail in the coffin was the materials. I used tongue and groove pine in a barn door shape. Now tongue and groove pine is very strong, but from what I have learned over time makes for a very poor load bearing surface when used as a ramp.
So, with all that said Snowblower shed door Mark II was commissioned to both replace and improve upon Mark I.
Mark II uses the same fold in half design, but with beefier hinges. instead of trying to cut an angle in the end I added a piece of ply on hinges to the end to act as the angle on the ramp. I also made sure to leave at least 1/8 in gap on all sides. Along with design changes, material changes were made as well. Gone was the Tongue and Groove pine and in was 3/4 in plywood and 1×4’s as decorative/support pieces for the hinges.
I built the frame outside on new years eve and moved the door inside to paint both sides that night hanging out with the family in between coats. New years day I removed the old door and installed the new one.
All in all I’m pretty pleased with the outcome. Mark II is a lot easier to use and looks nicer/wont expand as much with a coat of white enamel paint. Even the ramp works this time! Only thing left to do now is put down something on the ramp for traction.