LumberJocks

Shop-made Dust Seperator/Cyclone

  • Advertise with us
Project by Gianni posted 234 days ago 1331 views 1 time favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch

Well, since everyone else is posting pictures of their extraordinarily well thought out and constructed dust seperators, I thought it would be good to throw up some pictures of the one I recently built.

For those artsy types, I should give it a name… How about “Simple, Functional, POS?”

The top is a leftover piece of 3/8 ply from cutting a new chair bottom for a friend. The bottom is 1/8 hardboard. The standoffs between are 6” long 1/4 bolts running inside 1/2” pvc cut to about 5” lengths. I used 3 because that way any nonuniformity in length wouldn’t bend the bottomm funny. I figured that would really mess with airflow.

I dug through my bucket stack and chose two that nested with a standoff. I cut about the top third off the inside bucket. I had actually purchased an orange plastic lid from home depot, but, oddly, it didn’t fit on a non-home depot 5 gallon bucket (??!!? What the heck, hd?) When i tried to force it, it cracked… There is a dollar fifty I’ll never see again. After that, i just cut the ply circle.

The hole for inlet tube I cut out with a jigsaw. Probably not the safest operation, but it worked. I inserted the 2” pvc pipe and used a file to make the hole oblong until the edge of the pipe rested against the side of the bucket. I cut an angle on the pipe end facing the inside of the bucket, then drilled through both pipe and bucket and captured the end to the side with a #8 machine screw and a nylon lock nut on the outside.

Last, I positioned the bottom plate on the center of the top using a precise method known as “eyeballing” that I’ve developed over the years. I drilled three holes for the bolts, assembled the top/bottom/standoffs through the bucket around the inlet pipe (make sure holes for standoffs clear this pipe when drilling, you could measure and stuff, but… really?)

To seal the inlet and top, I just used hot glue/craft glue. It filled the hideous gaps from my jigsaw-file fiasco well, and since I didn’t follow plans I thought I wanted some adjustability to experimemt. I used it for about a week, playing mostly with the height of the outlet/suction tube. Unbelievably, it worked best when this was higher in the chamber (taller air column underneath) which was exactly the opposite of my expectation. Once I got happy enough with the results to justify the $6 or so I’d invested, I used a 2” coupler sliced in half to sandwich the pipe to the top.

I did go back and add a rubber coupler to the intake, bringing the total to $9. I splurged.

It’s extremely effective with chips and shavings. Sanding and fine dust, well, maybe it gets half or so. The pics are after a morning with the scroll saw, table saw, and router. I love shop projects where the results raise eyebrows with their ugliness, and win friends with their function. This is exactly one of those projects, and I think it’s beautiful, red overspray and all.





5 comments so far

View ldl's profile

ldl

1135 posts in 992 days


#1 posted 234 days ago

Gianni you know what they say”Purty is as purty does.”

Good job.

-- Dewayne in Bainbridge, Ga. - - No one can make you mad. Only you decide when you get mad - -

View NormG's profile

NormG

4092 posts in 1630 days


#2 posted 234 days ago

Looks like it work just fine, well done

-- Norman

View Nicholas Hall's profile

Nicholas Hall

348 posts in 733 days


#3 posted 233 days ago

That’s a lot of bang for the buck. A nice $9.00 shop upgrade that anyone can afford and anyone can do. I like it.

-- Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

View Todd's profile

Todd

221 posts in 303 days


#4 posted 233 days ago

You can’t argue with something that works. It’s shop equipment. You can spend your time making other stuff pretty. Great job!

-- Todd, Huntsville, AL

View exelectrician's profile

exelectrician

1526 posts in 1054 days


#5 posted 232 days ago

You were lucky the plastic lid cracked, you ended up with a much sturdier product that really works well.

-- Love thy neighbour as thyself

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase