|Project by Ron Stewart||posted 12-31-2013 09:55 PM||2286 views||15 times favorited||16 comments|
I finished this pair of speakers right before Christmas. I didn’t design the functional parts (or overall dimensions) of the speakers—just the aesthetics. The drivers and other non-cabinet components are from a kit.
Like most speakers, the cabinets are made of MDF, then veneered. I suspect that some LumberJocks might recoil at the thought, but I used reconstituted wenge and zebrawood veneer (from Tape-Ease). The finish is six or seven thin wiped-on coats of gloss Arm-R-Seal.
Using reconstituted veneer saved me a lot of money. I paid about $150 total for the veneer (one full sheet each of wenge and zebrawood). “Real” veneer would have cost me nearly $400. I compared samples of actual and reconstituted wenge. The actual wenge is slightly prettier, but not that much prettier for this particular application. I didn’t compare actual vs. reconstituted zebrawood, but the latter looks close enough to photos I’ve seen to satisfy me. (Plus, real zebrawood is so striking that it has always looked a bit fake to me.)
I used pocket screws for the interior braces and main cabinet, along with dadoes in the sides and top/bottom for the braces. That made glue-up a lot easier—no clamps required. The backs are removable, attached with 3/32” bolts and and T-nuts.
I didn’t veneer the back panels because I built and tuned the speakers before applying the veneer, and I just didn’t want to deal with trimming the veneer around all of the counterbores and binding post mortises. So I just went with satin black paint.
I know this is a woodworking site, not a speaker building site, so I’ll spare the speaker geek details. Anyone who’d like to know more about the design and internals can read my detailed build thread at Parts Express.
Thanks for looking!
-- Ron Stewart