|Project by scrappy||posted 12-30-2013 03:59 AM||633 views||0 times favorited||3 comments|
Here is a Genie Bottle That I made for my brother for Christmas. When he came down to visit in October, This was the one project he wanted to turn. I don’t know what my problem was with the measuring but, the different sections were WAYYY off in size. We did not have enough time together to fix it. So I completed it for him.
It stands about 15 inch tall and about 6 inch diam at the bottom. It also has a removable glass insert so it will hold a flower or two. (that way it doubles as a vase)
The last 3 pics show how the flutes were cut with the jig and router. Drilled the holes, made the jig with pins, routered the groves. Had to lay out the holes by hand because the Jet lathe does not do 22 1/2 deg increments. (8 piece segment with grove on joint and center of each segment)
For the top plug, just used a file to make the groves.
Also on this, tried my hand at Trans Tint Dies. (a genie bottle should be purple! with sparkles!) Came out OK. Need more practice at that. Used clear fingernail polish with glitter for the sparkles.
Not sure on type of wood. It was a large scrap piece that was given to me.
Please leave all comments and suggestions. Thanks for looking.
-- Scrap Wood's the best...the projects are smaller, and so is the mess!