|Project by 7Footer||posted 12-30-2013 02:30 AM||3395 views||16 times favorited||4 comments|
I’ve had this idea to make a dust separator for several months now, I even made the top for the bucket about 5 months ago, it’s been sitting there ever since. Yesterday and today I took a little time to make it function. It’s made out of all scrap osb and plywood I had lying around (as you can tell she isn’t pretty—> but she’s working like a champ). The idea for the design of it came from this one I saw posted a few months back . Mine is just a little more compact version. I only have about $20 into it, bought a pack of weather stripping, a super cheap pack of casters, picked up a 2 1/2” hose on sale at Woodcraft for $10 a few months ago, then found a 1 1/2” hose at Goodwill for $4. We had some scrap plexiglass lying around at work so I just snatched up a couple pieces of that for the top.
Rather than fabricate my own reducers to fit the hoses I decided to just make 2 ports for each size hose and make a plug for each one for whichever is not in use (the sanded the cutout for the hole and lined it with weather stripping). I haven’t tried the 2 1/2” hose yet because I am going to have to make another adapter to connect it to the baffle. But after a quick cleaning of the filter in my Shop-vac and reassembling it I fired it up and it did great, it sucked up a ton of dust and junk from around the shop and the filter had very little dust on it after, without the separator that thing would’ve lost 80% of its suction power in about 3 minutes.
Like I said it’s sure not pretty, but it’s performing great so far. I bought a couple of those latches like you can put on toolboxes and chests and such, but just with the weather stripping around the top of the bucket and the weight of the baffle it has PLENTY of holding power, I was able to lift the entire bucket up while it was half full of junk/dust and it didn’t even come loose, you would have to pry the top of when its turned on to make it pop off. I don’t even vacuum much because it gets clogged so fast but now I can do some real cleanup!
I need to add a few finishing touches to it like some storage and other things to hang various things on it but overall I’m happy with it!
Thanks for looking!
-- Known agitator --