|Project by DHS||posted 12-29-2013 08:58 PM||3561 views||5 times favorited||6 comments|
This sapele chest that I built as a Christmas present needed some panache. So, inspired by the cool line-and-berry tools built by fellow lumberjocks (Jon3, Les Hastings, and others), I too shamelessly copied the Lie-Nielsen line-and-berry inlay tool set and used it to create a compass pattern on the chest lid. I purchased the blades for the tools from Lie-Nielsen because I could not tell exactly what they looked like from the photos on their web page.
I used a compass and straigiht edge to lay out the design and then carved the narrow grooves using the radius cutter and straight-line cutter. I purchased some holly from a local dealer (Wow, that stuff is pricey!) and, after slicing off some thin ribbons using the table saw, I cut them into strings using the slicing gauge. The thicknessing gauge worked reasonably well for bringing the strings to their final thickness, but I found it easier to just use a block plane. To bend the holly strings so they would fit into the curved grooves I used a soldering iron with a copper pipe slipped over the iron. The soldering iron by itself was too hot and burned the holly, but it worked great with the pipe over the top. I used birch dowel for the “berries”. After all the glue dried, I hand planed the lid with my new (vintage) Stanley bedrock 604 (purchased recently on ebay). What a great smoothing plane.
The chest itself is dovetailed and sparingly finished with a couple thin coats of blonde shellac and paste wax.
-- Dave S., Bellingham, WA