Okay, here it is… finally: my first project. When I started this project I had no idea what I was doing (Furniture? You just need a big hammer, a saw and some nails, right?). I had seen some New Mexico pine furniture that looked fairly simple and I thought “hey, I can make that,” so I plunged right in. Well, the early carpinteros who made that stuff knew what they were doing and, well, I didn’t.
I read everything I could find on the web, haunted LumberJocks, bought some tools a bit at a time and slowly approached the project. First I designed it in Sketchup, which I’ve been using for years, transferred the measurements to my boards, and started cutting. Now, I spent over thirty years as a commercial artist, carefully measuring and cutting on a daily basis, but I soon found out that measuring and cutting wood is a whole ‘nother animal. How was I to know that using my buddy’s old, cheap B&D jigsaw just wasn’t going to cut it (pun intended) for fine work. Well, I quickly learned.
At any rate, I got everything cut and dry assembled and then, uh-oh… what next? I took some pictures and posted them on LJ’s asking for some help “My pine nightmare” ( http://lumberjocks.com/topics/54431 ) on how to finish this thing. I would like to thank everyone who so generously offered their help to someone as totally clueless as I was: it made a huge difference.
I finally finished this beast, and here it is. It’s pretty crude (I know, I know, the preferred term is “rustic,” but it really is crude), but it is finally finished. There are no metal fasteners used in this piece, its all glue and joinery. I’ve gained an incredible amount of knowledge over the course of this project, and gotten some new tools to make the job better (a little dozuki really does cut better dovetails than an old, cheap backsaw from HD).
All I can say is the next one will be eleventy-thousand percent better, and I can’t wait to start.
Thanks for reading and looking. Comments — and especially criticisms — gladly accepted.