|Project by Mikesawdust||posted 12-28-2013 04:39 PM||1200 views||2 times favorited||3 comments|
I just finished this project and I’m really happy with it for the most part. I met all the customer’s requests in the build and it was interesting.
I used figured Cherry (amazing grain) for the case sides and Alder for the upper areas with Sapele edging. The drawer is made of Spanish Cedar with a thin plywood supporting the drawer bottom also trimmed with Sapele. The base of the case is MDF.
The box joints were done with an incra jig(first time using it, need more practice with it). There are 13 coin rails cut in the top, he has a serious collection of coins to display. The platform area is for a decanter and shot glasses to rest on. The drawer has three partitions and a vented area in the rear to hold humidifiers. As you can see in the picture of the drawer removed, I had a mistake in planning. The support for the platform was not taken into account when I built the drawer, I had to add a cut out to the rear of the drawer to accommodate it. Luckily this is hidden by the vent and doesn’t effect the function. I finished with a shellac and sprayed poly on the exterior, the interior was spray polly, with all seams sealed with clear caulking and two part epoxy coating the entire base. The hardware was wooden drawer guides and brass knobs I picked up locally