|Project by Arasii||posted 12-27-2013 04:39 PM||921 views||2 times favorited||4 comments|
This is my first attempt at a cutting board. It was a nice project to get some more experience on my new table saw and planer, and it was something I could get done in short order before the holidays.
The board was made from 4/4 sugar maple, black walnut, and bubinga boards. I planed each board down to 3/4” before the initial glue-up. I used Titebond III for all the glue-ups. I performed the cross-cuts using a hastily built sled on the table saw, cutting the board into 1” wide strips to yield a 1” thick endgrain board.
After the second glue-up, I used a ROS to smooth the discontinuities in the top and bottom surfaces and then fed the board through my thickness planer. While I had read that people advised against feeding endgrain boards through the planer, I tested several pieces of end grain scrap without any dire consequences. The only undesirable effect I noticed was some minor chip out on the top of the back end of the board, but this wasn’t a big deal for me since I routed all the corners with a 3/8” roundover bit anyway.
The board was finished using 3 “coats” of mineral oil, followed by a single coat of a mineral oil / beeswax mix. I rubbed each application on by hand and let it sit for 30 minutes before wiping away any excess.