|Project by izod||posted 12-27-2013 02:13 PM||1561 views||2 times favorited||2 comments|
I built two of these for Christmas presents. One for my daughter and the other for our God-daughter. At the same time i was building these i was building a balance board as well. I started out the same way with this project. While i was Christmas shopping online i found this idea and thought ‘i can do that for way cheaper!’. Also my wife can sew and she really wanted to help make this project. I used random pictures and dimensions online but i drew the pattern from scratch using Visio. I did all the spacing and angles myself.
I printed the visio drawing out to scale, taped together, and glued it to some 1/4” mdf, cut out and sanded to the line. Drilled out all the holes that i needed, screwed the template to the plywood, traced the pattern, removed the template, rough cut the plywood, reattached the template and routered out the exact shape with a flush trim bit.
I used 3/4” maple veneered plywood for the sides, 3/4” poplar dowels, and 3/4” solid maple for the bottom cross support. The book case was 28” tall, 13” deep, and 24” wide.
With this project i wanted to hide the ugly plywood edge, so i dove into veneering on my own. I knew i needed an iron and went to the local Salvation Army and Savers looking for a used one. I found a little tiny iron and thought that it would be perfect, size wise, for veneering. I brought it home and without hesitation my wife pointed out that there was NO way it was ever going to get hot enough. She thought she should share this hilarious event and took some pictures to show everyone on facebook… Also it was a good prop for our elf on the shelf. In the end i stole her iron and it’s in my shop now =). The veneering went surprisingly well for never doing it before. I found out very quick on some does and don’ts and some tricks to make it easier.
-- Josh - Rochester, MN