|Project by nittanylion||posted 12-26-2013 02:03 PM||2390 views||19 times favorited||14 comments|
I found a picture of a wine rack similar to this online and figured I would give it a try. The two outside boards are walnut with maple sandwiched between them. Each board was about an inch thick. Two walnut boards and 4 maple boards made this one hell of a chunk of wood when the initial glue up was finished. After hand drawing the figure, I took it to the bandsaw, I’m guessing it was over 20 pounds! I busted two different bandsaw blades, spent hours on end sanding down, tried a new finish (Bush oil- wasn’t dry after two days), re-sanded it again, and then used Deft with a spray gun. I had a hard time letting this one go!! I hope my sister will be happy!
The board is maple and walnut as well, following the lead of a fellow Lumberjock! The utensils I roughed out of scrap walnut. I carved and sanded them down and finished them with salad bowl finish.
Next up- a changing table for my daughter who we will meet in 10 weeks!!!
Happy New Year to all you Lumberjocks out there!!!